Can you believe we are already one month into 2017? It feels like January just flew by, but I’m okay with it. The winter months always seem to drag on, and I think I get a little bit of Seasonal Affective Disorder by the end of them. Truthfully, once Christmas is over, I’m ready for all things spring!
If you’re a regular reader, you may remember that I gave up Facebook for the year and established some goals to pursue throughout 2017. Let me just say that so far I have NO REGRETS from that decision. Over the last month I have seen an improvement in my overall mood, and I don’t miss Facebook at all. And given that we are experiencing such a heated political climate right now, I am certain that leaving Facebook was probably my best decision ever.
Since we are one month into the year, I thought I’d do a quick check-in on my goals for 2017. These will just be short updates, as I plan to write some posts related to some of these goals later this month.
- Writing my book – I have been working on this goal in short bursts here and there. In particular, I’ve been developing a personal essay (that will later become a chapter of the book) for a local writing contest.
- Training for a half marathon – I’m sad to report that I didn’t do much running in January. One reason for this is that I need to invest in some higher end shoes – my current New Balance shoes are fine for the treadmill but leave me in pain when running outdoors, which is my preferred running location. I’m thinking of getting some Hoka One Ones, but I’m waiting until we have room in the budget for that investment.
- Blogging – I have definitely been blogging more! I successfully posted 2-3 times a week on the blog throughout the month of January – which is a huge improvement!
- Being present – Since I still have Twitter and Instagram, this is still a challenge at times, but I have seen a pretty big change here. Most notably, I find myself just forgetting where my phone is, or leaving it at home when we’re out at church or running errands. Stepping away from Facebook has definitely led to a decreased attachment to my phone, which is a plus.
- Reading more books – I read 4 books in January! Stay tuned for a review post soon.
- Saving money – I am so excited about this goal. For the first time EVER, we came in under budget in every budget category! We have some very specific goals for this year (which include buying our first home), so I’m really pleased with how well we managed our finances in January.
Overall, January was a good month for meeting goals, and I hope that consistency carries on into February as well. How are you doing on your 2017 goals?