Last week, I wrote about the importance of praying for our children and I shared some bible verses to help you pray for your children. I thought I’d follow it up with sharing some of my favorite scriptures to pray for my husband. Marriage is a sanctifying work, y’all. It is a beautiful picture of the gospel, of Jesus Christ and His bride, and it is a privilege to be called to marriage. However, it is not easy. My husband and I are celebrating 5 years of marriage this year, and we’ve experienced many challenges in that time: unemployment, unplanned pregnancy, going back to school and we’ve moved 6 times in those 5 years. As I’ve learned, when babies and business demands and broken dreams start crowding your lives, you need to hit your knees in prayer for your marriage.
Often, I can sometimes get so focused in praying ABOUT my husband that I fail to pray FOR him. However, I find that as I pray specific promises from God’s word for my husband, my heart is changed and I am a better wife as a result. When I spend my time praying intentionally for my husband, and to see the fruit of Jesus Christ in his life, then I am changed and our marriage is transformed. Here are 5 bible verses to pray for your husband and impact your marriage:
- Fill my husband with “delight…in the law of the Lord” (Psalm 1:2) and “open [his] eyes that [he] may behold wondrous things out of your law” (Psalm 119:18).
- Empower him to “run with endurance the race that is set before [him]” and to focus on pleasing you (Hebrews 12:1-2).
- Because you “oppose the proud and give grace to the humble“, instill a genuine sense of humility in my husband’s heart (James 4:6).
- Enable him to be “quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger” (James 1:19).
- Increase his desire to teach and model godliness as a father, “that the next generation might know…and not forget the works of God” (Psalm 78:5-7).
Praying for your husband is one of the most important things you can do for your marriage. When life gets hard, conforming your heart to the heart of God for your husband by praying His word can make a powerful impact on the health of your marriage. What are some of your favorite verses to pray for your husband?