It’s Friday Five time! On Fridays, I like to share lists of five things about life and/or motherhood. Sometimes it’s fun random stuff, like which fictional characters would be awesome in real life or links + loves from that week. Other times, it’s more meaningful, like today’s post, which is all about prayer.
When you become a parent, your prayer life changes. When you have a newborn, you beg God for just one full night of sleep. When your children become toddlers, you pray for patience and self-control and just one hour of quiet, alone time because their life depends on it. When you’re away from your children, you struggle with fear and worry and you plead for their safety. When you face parenting crises, you fall on your knees for wisdom and grace. Praying gets you through the trenches of parenting, because parenting is hard, but God’s grace abounds in it.
One of my favorite models for prayer is praying scripture back to God. Using this approach has changed my prayers for my children. Using bible verses to guide my prayers allows me to lean into the promises of God and apply them specifically to the lives of my children. Here are 5 bible verses to pray for your children:
- Early in life, fill my children with love for you, that they would love you “with all [their] heart and with all [their] soul and with all [their] mind” (Matthew 22:37-40).
- Fill them “with the knowledge of [your] will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of [you], fully pleasing to [you], bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:9-10).
- Help them to be thankful, “giv[ing] thanks in all circumstances,” and to be content, for “godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Thessalonians 5:18; 1 Timothy 6:6).
- Grant me wisdom and strength to raise my children in the “discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4).
- May the “favor of the Lord our God be upon [them] and establish the work of [their] hands” (Psalm 90:17).
What are some of your favorite bible verses to pray for your children?