Today is S.T.O.P. Sunday: Stop Trafficking in Oklahoma through Prayer. It is an initiative of the Women’s Missions and Ministries Office of the BGCO to compel churches around the state to educate their congregations on the dangers of human trafficking and exploitation and to STOP and pray about it during worship services today. Their website has great information and resources to raise awareness of the occurrence of trafficking and exploitation in Oklahoma, and how to engage it for the glory of God.
Did you know…
Slavery stills exists in our world and is an estimated $32 billion industry? You may be aware of what happens overseas, but the issue exists here—even in Oklahoma.
The BGCO Women’s Office has identified 6 areas of exploitation, but I wanted to highlight a few:
- Bullying – whether cyberbullying, “Queen bee bullying,” or some other form, bullying is treating others in an abusive manner through force or coercion or with threatening language or behavior. This form of exploitation is a major issue among our young people.
- Media exploitation of children and families – if you turn your television on for more than a few seconds, it won’t be long before you notice the negative information and images targeting children and young people. Take the newest Taco Bell ad as an example.
- Sex trafficking – the recruitment, harboring, provision, or obtaining of a person in order that a commercial sex act can be induced, often by force, fraud, or coercion (Source: U.S. Department of State). Oklahoma is prime real estate for this form of exploitation because our extensive interstate system makes trafficking accessible through the many truck stops and rest areas along the highways.
Won’t you STOP and pray today? Here are some prayer points to get you started:
- For Christians to respond to those being exploited in our state and around the world .
- For those who are being exploited for labor purposes.
- For individuals who misuse natural resources and harm others’ lives.
- For children and students affected by bullying.
- For those caught in the addiction of pornography.
- Pray for the trucking industry and those who travel our interstate system.
- Pray for individuals who are trafficked for sexual services.